Tain Pipe Band
We are always delighted to welcome the Tain Pipe Band to the Games and thank them for their continued support and great entertainment they provide for us at the Invercharron Games. They are an integral and always enjoyed part of the Games opening ceremony and on-going entertainment throughout the afternoon.
For many years pre-war (1920’s-30’s) the band was known as the Boy Scouts Pipe Band, but in the 1930s became the Tain Burgh Pipe Band. The Band went into abeyance in 1939 for the duration of the war and was resurrected in 1946 by old members and newcomers. In 1950 the British Legion took over the band to be called the Tain BL Pipe Band. Donald Ross was Pipe Major and led an 18-20 strong band. P.M. Willie Morrison later took over as Pipe Major. The band went defunct in 1956 and uniforms were badly stored.
In 1995 a number of individual pipers and drummers playing as a group at various local venues, set up a committee and formed The Royal Burgh of Tain Pipe Band. Raising funds proved hard until uniforms and drums were provided by Mohammed Al Fayed (Harrods) in 1996.
The object of the band is to promote an interest in Pipe Band Music in the area, to entertain people and visitors, and especially, to encourage the younger generation to build up an interest in music and their heritage.